SC - sc-pears and rambling

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Sep 12 17:48:37 PDT 1998

Bear asked:

>  So, my question is, "What
>Medieval or Renaissance recipes can we recommend where the ingredients would
>be part of a normal grocery purchase, where the dish would fit into a modern
>family meal, and which can be prepared with limited untensils and facilities
>in a timely manner."

The recipe pasted below was one I did last Monday (labor day). It was chosen
specifically because I had the ingredients already at home. although I
substituted chicken breasts for a whole chicken. It did come out rather bland
though.

>My vision for this question is that the information put forward will become
>a section of Stefan's Florilegium aimmed at the beginning historical cook
>and will provide ready material for any of us who are called upon to teach a
>basic medieval cooking class.

More work for Stefan, huh??? :-) I'll think about this. If this generates a
good
thread, I'll at least create a file from it. I also been planning a file on
medieval cookbooks for beginners when I find the time.

Even better would be for someone(s) to collect some of these recipes together
and write an article with them for beginning cooks which I could then add to
the Florilegium.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net
The following is from my chicken-msg file.