SC - Question ----low budget-saffron use

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Sat Sep 12 20:29:20 PDT 1998

>Stefan,
>
>Smithfields are not refrigerated because they are smoked and salted within
>an inch of their lives, so to speak. Before they are sold, they are aged
>for at least a year, and only get better with time. I suspect that the only
>thing you could do to hurt a Smithfield is let it get soaking wet, let
>someone or something else eat it, or send it into the sun on a spacecraft-
>I'd bet the simple things would survive a nuclear attack, and make an
>excellent find for some future archaeologist ;-)
>
>Phlip
>
>Phlip at bright.net

There is a recipe in Laud MS 553 for removing the saltiness from salted
meats.  Oatmeal is bound in a cloth.  The meat, oatmeal, & water are heated
on a very low flame for a long time, & then cooled.  The process is
repeated as necessary.

BTW, I believe it was at the Daniel Boone homestead during restoration,
that a ham was discovered still hanging in the old smokehouse.  I'm told it
was delicious.

Cindy/Sincgiefu