SC - Thoughts on Food- reply, long.

needlwitch@msn.com needlewitch at email.msn.com
Sun Sep 13 11:16:22 PDT 1998

The natural foods movement ws an oddity in the 50s and 60s, and bypassed much of
america, look at the advertising of the era. The purchase of canned foods by the
masses went into eclipse in the country as they cost money and more people put
up their own foods. The city folk who couldn't garden were the ones that bought
the canned goods. Advertisers did want the K&B ignorance, it made people brand
conscious. The real healthfood change for the non fringe people didn't really
start until the 70s, and we became more aware of the additive problem. The only
time in the 50s and 60s where unusaual foods integrated into american cuisine
was in the faddish articles. Fer gosh sakes, pizza was a by the slice rarity
found pretty much only where there were italian immagrants until the 60s, the
only really foreigh food[other than fancy rests like Mama Leones or fancy french
places like Pierre's] were chinese takeout. Until the 60s pretty much the
immigrants tried to blend in.
If you look at the basic diet in america today, it is still pretty much the
betty crocker ken and barbie stuff seasoned with a few old family recipes and
stuff mom clipped out of womens day. with the predominance of my youth compeers
going through the standardized home ecchhhonomics classes found in every
school[well, I wanted to take wood shop...] making bisquik biscuits, pie crusts
filled with canned filling, steaks and baked potatos and canned peas, is it any
wonder we had a discussion recently on milk substitutes that are basically a
palatable white liquid to make mommy feel like she is raising the kid with a
good diet? There are better sources of dietary calcium and other inerals than
potato water, almond milk, soy milk and rice milk. Really, if you want the kid
to get dietrary calcium, soak eggshells in water that has a dollop of lemon
juice in it, turn it into lemonaid after straining. It doesn't really alter the
taste of the lemonaid, and provides most of the RDA in 1 8 oz cup.
margali