SC - Thoughts on Food

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Sun Sep 13 15:19:40 PDT 1998

Phlip said:
Stefan,

Smithfields are not refrigerated because they are smoked and salted within
an inch of their lives, so to speak. Before they are sold, they are aged
for at least a year, and only get better with time. I suspect that the only
thing you could do to hurt a Smithfield is let it get soaking wet, let
someone or something else eat it, or send it into the sun on a spacecraft-
I'd bet the simple things would survive a nuclear attack, and make an
excellent find for some future archaeologist ;-)
- -----------------------------

Yes, I am aware of this from previous conversations on this list. When I
first saw these hams, packaged the same way in my local HEB they were in
the refrigerated coolers. As there were other Smithfield hams next to
these that had "water added", I wasn't sure if the other ones, in cloth
bags were the real thing. As I wasn't sure if these would keep out of
my refrigerator, because not all things labeled smoked today will, I
decided not to chance it. At forty-seven dollars, I didn't feel I wanted
to gamble and see. Then the store stopped carrying them. When we
stopped by a different HEB and they still had one in the cloth bag, I
bought it. And yes, this one is sitting in the closet. Unfortunately,
modern homes are not built today with cool rooms or cellars, at least
not in central Texas.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net