SC - rasher of bacon??

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 13 17:34:24 PDT 1998

>Whilst standing watch on the pier yesterday, I was watching the swans
>swimming around the boats.  Not that I'd be willing to eat these particular
>birds (not after all the time they've been swimming around RCs!), but does
>anyone have any period recipes for swan?  Has anyone (Ras?) actually cooked
>or eaten swan?
>

>Alasdair mac Iain

Here I go on the swan subject again.......*Sigh*

At coronet in 1996, when Ynys Fawr hosted the event, we served swan to the
high table.  We just roasted it.  I wasn't in the kitchen for that evening,
so I don't know much about how they prepared it other than what the
finished product was like.  IIRC the meat had a silvery sort of sheen and
was not very tasty.  Besides, the paperwork involved in getting permission
to kill a couple was long and tiresome, despite the fact that we have them
in plague proportions here in the South of Tasmania.
   I was a good experiment, but not one that we would care to repeat in a
hurry.  IMO Swans are certainly not worth the effort involved in the legal
work.  Stick with other game birds instead.

Just my 2c worth,
- -Sianan

Marina Denton
sianan at geocities.com

        Logic is a systematic way of arriving at the wrong conclusion in
	confidence.