SC - rasher of bacon??

Jeff Botkins jbotkins at ime.net
Sun Sep 13 20:30:27 PDT 1998

Drake asked:

>How do you make Gravlax?  Have any good recipes for serving it?  Is it
>period?

Yes, it is apparently period. I'm afraid I don't have any recipes, but there
are several descriptions of it in this file in the FOOD section of my
Florilegium:

fish-msg         (128K)  8/24/98    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.

>Alys' recipe for bull penis:  Is it period and is the recipe
>available.  I'd love to serve this at a feast (if I could get my hands
>on half a dozen thingys).

The recipe is in this file, also in the FOOD section:

organ-meats-msg   (27K)  8/26/98    Period cooking of organ meats.

As for finding sources for this, take a look at this file in the FOOD
section:

food-sources-msg  (28K)  8/21/98    Modern sources for unusual medieval meats
                                       and other foods.

And this one in the FEASTS section:

HC-butchers-art   (13K) 10/ 4/97    For Headcooks - How to work with your
local
                                       butcher.

Hope this helps.

Stefan li Rous