SC - Gravlax and the thingy recipe (a bit OT)

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 14 04:28:12 PDT 1998

Hannah Thomas wrote:

> Question:  Without having a juice squeezer thingy, is there a way to
> squeeze the juice out of apples?  Perhaps if I pureid (sp?) them, then
> pressed what juice I could get?  Has anyone done this?
>
> Thanx for all the ideas, anyone have any period recepies?  I will try
> that strudle tho!
>
> THanxs,  Hannah

There is a handy little crank strainer that we use making applesauce,
applebutter, etc.  I love it.  We wash and quarter the apples.  Then we stew them
in plain water until they are all soft.  Put them through the strainer 3 cups at
a time.  It's a snap.  What you would want to do is then put the solids you got
through a fine strainer to seperate the juice, and use the solids for something
else.  Check with your friends who can applesauce to borrow one.

Brenna