SC - Gravlax and the thingy recipe (a bit OT)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Mon Sep 14 05:28:16 PDT 1998

Phil & Susan Troy wrote:

> Brenna wrote:
> >
> > I assume you're talking about THE OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE which happens to be one of my
> > faves.  If I can find it, I have the recipie for the bloomin onion (spices and all)
> > around here somewhere.  I usually skip the sauce which is a ranch dressing.  Their
> > cheese froys are also the best, but I personally wish I could scam the recipie (the
> > spices they use) for the Shrimp on the Barbie appitizer.  Too Good for words!
> >
> > Brenna
>
> Yeah, it has a certain elemental appeal as one of the Great Onion Experiences.
> I can see gourmands of exquisite taste avoiding it in public, but coming back
> alone to pig out on it.
>
> I was talking about a restaurant called Oliver's, actually, on the Upper East
> Side of Manhattan, and now closed. I just thought it was funny reading the
> critic's amazed comments about this hitherto-unheard-of delight...
>
> BTW, if you do have a real recipe, instead of my just sort of knowing what it
> is and how it's done, I'd appreciate a post or an e-mail with it. Thanks in advance!
>
> Adamantius

Okay, the sauce is not what I recall, but here goes:

Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp ketchup
2 TBS cream-style horseradish sauce
4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried oregano
dash ground black pepper
dash cayanne pepper

Onion
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp dries oregano
1/8 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp cumin
1 giant spanish onion (3/4 lb or more)
vegetable oil for frying

Prepare the dipping sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl.  Keep sauce
covered in the frige for use as needed.

Beat the egg and combine it with the milk in a medium bowl big enough to hold the onion.

In a seperate bowl, combine the flour, salt, peppers, oregano, thyme and cumin.

Now it's time to slice the onion-this is the trickiest step.  First, slice 3/4 inch to 1
inch off the top and bottom of the onion.  Remove the papery skin.  Use a thin knife to
cut 1 inch diameter core out of the center of the onion.  Now use a very sharp knife to
slice the onion several times down the middle to create petals of completed onion.  First
slice through the center of the onion 3/4 of the way down, turn the onion 90 degrees and
slice it again in an x across the first slice.  Keep slicing in sections very carefully
until you've cut the onion 16 times.  Do not cut down to the bottom!  The last 8 slices
will be a little hairy, just use a steady hand and son't worry if it doesn't look like a
perfect flower.  It will still tasste great.

Spread the petals of the onion apart.  The sections tend to stick together, so seperate
them as much as you can to coat more evenly.

Dip the onion in the milk mixture, and then coat it with the dry ingredients. Again,
seperate the peels and sprinkle with more of the dry mixture between them.  Once you're
sure the onion is well-coated, dip it back into the wet mixture and into the dry again.
Double dipping makes sure you have a good caoating as you lose some in the cooking.  Let
the onion rest in the frige while you prepare the oil (at least 15 min).

Heat the oil in the deep fryer or pot to 350 degrees F.  Make sure you use enough oil to
completely cover the onion when it fries.

Fry the onion right side up in the oil for 10 min or until it turns brown.

Whenthe onion is brown, remove it from the oil and let it drain on a rack of paper
towels.

Serve hot (with a small container of dipping suce in the hollowed out center if you're
artistic).

Brenna
(hope everyone enjoys)