SC - Gravlax and the thingy recipe (a bit OT)

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 14 06:16:41 PDT 1998

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Phil & Susan Troy wrote:

> We'd mix together approximately 1/2 cup Kosher, pickling, or sea salt
> (non-iodized!), and 1/2 cup sugar, along with about 2 Tbs cracked black
> peppercorns. We would spread this on the flesh side of the salmon, until the

Ah, yes. sugar. I knew the recipie didn't look quite right. Hm, with
Norwegian salmon only being $5/kg perhaps one should make some...

> This was (and is) traditionally served with bagels or brown bread,
> topped with a thick, creamy olive oil / white wine vinegar
> vinaigrette, with added sugar, some prepared mustard (we used Dijon)
> and much finely chopped dill (no stems this time) stirred in.

Traditionally? Bagels? Without looking in sources either on the net or
at home I can't swear that you've gotten the recipie for
"hovmaestarsaas" (LaTeX "hovm\"astars\aa s", html
"hovmästarsås", funny letters'R'Us) right, but the only thing
that look a bit off is the Dijon mustard. Traditionally it's supposed to
be a sweet, mild (i.e. useless for anything else) mustard, but Dijon
might actually be an improvement.

> Need I mention that gravlax made from an eight-pound salmon goes a
> fairly long way? It might get you something like twenty good-sized
> servings.

Being able to tuck away a pound of this I challenge you to make 8 lb
last for 20 good sized servings. Definitely 20 "a bit on the side"
servings, but not *real* servings. Fond memory of company paid
"christmas buffet", 3 guesses on why I nibbled on the standard items[1],
and ate my fill (as in full plate) of gravlax, smoked salmon and smoked
eel.

/UlfR

[1] ham, 42 kinds of herring, trotters, head cheese, meatballs, spare
ribs, etc, etc.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei(at)algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
If NT is the answer, you don't understand the question