SC - Re: Lavender varieties

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Mon Sep 14 08:27:18 PDT 1998

hi from Anne-Marie

Ras suggests that pigs were raised specifically for their lard.
I'm afraid I missed the original start of this thread (I must admit the
list has had a much higher noise level than usual lately, according to my
rather narrow sighted standards :)).

Interesting idea...are you suggesting that the fat was the primary focus of
the pig raising? that the meat, skin, bone and innards were only
incidental?

Your reasoning includes the observation that there are so many recipes in
the primary source corpus that include fat. True enough. Yet arent there
just as many that call for some other part of the pig? I haven't done a
concordance, so I'm not issuing this as a challenge, but rather as a real
question.

Also, I would suggest that perhaps our friend the pygge was raised for
lard, sure, but also for meat and the other interesting bits. Just as  a
cow is not raised for its hide, it certainly is a significant part of its
reason for being, along with meat, milk, gelatin from hooves, rennet from
calves stomachs, etc. A chicken maybe raised for eggs, but also for meat. A
sheep for mutton, but also for wool and parchment..

make sense?
- --Anne-Marie, a country farm girl in the big city these days, but looking
forward to the State Faire this week! woo hoo!