SC - Re: Pig's Ears

TANTRALYA@aol.com TANTRALYA at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 09:45:58 PDT 1998

Ras wrote:
>We used to use pig's ears to make head cheese [....] I've never heard
>of frying them. Recipe, please?

When I was a little girl I used to eat at all the houses
of friends in the neighborhood as often as possible. One of
the dishes I had was fried pigs ears and green plantains
at a home of a family who had moved to Michigan (Holland)
from Cuba.

The best I can remember, it used small, fresh pigs ears and
green plantains.

Heat one inch of oil on medium high heat. Add pigs ears and fry
til cooked through, crackly, and breakable. Dry on a paper towl.
Sprinkle with salt. Keep warm.

Peel green plantain and slice into 1/2" thick slices. Fry on both
sides about 3 minutes. Dry on paper towel. Flatten fried plantains.
Place in hot oil again and fry both sides until brown. Dry on paper
towel and sprinkle with salt. Add to pigs ears.

Not much by way of instruction, but I'm incredibly bad with deep
frying, personally. I don't remember any spices at all other than salt,
either. And I distinctly remember this being made in cast iron
pans.

Jasmine

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm (Metro-Detroit area of Michigan)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
- -- Hroswith of Gandersheim