Fw: SC - Gravlax and the thingy recipe (a bit OT)

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Mon Sep 14 12:48:26 PDT 1998

Greetings to the list.

I posted a couple of months ago about a weekend event I would be attending.
I stated that I intended to do the whole weekend with period food, and had
planned a period pot-luck for one evening. What I received from this list
was a lot of helpful, useful and considerate advice and opinions. Mundane
life sucked me in shortly afterward so I haven't been able to get back to
you with the results as requested. So thanks for your patience and here's
what happened:

Friday night: stew with lots of juice. turned out nice.
Sat breakfast: did the fried oatmeal thing with the stew juice. yucky! I
won't be doing that again. Ptooey! But it was a good idea.
Sat lunch: boiled chicken and breads and cheeses with white garlic sauce for
dipping. yummy.
Sat dinner: potluck. Everyone brought something period and it was great. For
the less adventurous, it was breads and cheeses. For some of us, it was
poached salmon, asparagus, cherry and peach puddings. There was stew (with
beef and turnips, no potatos).
Sunday breakfast: leftovers :-)

We had planned the potluck for about 8-10 of us. With everyone hearing about
it and dropping by, we fed about 25 more than that. The end result was that
a fledgling group got excited as a whole about something other than combat.
We'll be doing much more of this type of thing in the future. I thank you
from the bottom of my heart for all the help and advice.

A bit more on recent developments this list is responsible for. I did the
cherry pudding out of The Medieval Kitchen and used quite a bit of research
from this list and Stefan's Florigxxxx. I entered into the annual food
competition for everyone west of the Mississippi. Not only did I win, I was
awarded a masterwork, which is the highest single honor possible for an arts
entry. Again, my thanks!

And a last note - the candied almonds were a hit this weekend. And everyone
was right. I should have made twice what I wanted to serve!

Humbly,
Maedb Drakonja