SC - sausage info

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 16:41:31 PDT 1998

THLRenata at aol.com wrote:

> To (sort of) tie this into another thread running on the list, when I was
> growing up, we'd see whole tongues in the deli case and my older brother would
> tell me that they were whale's tongues, 'cause neither of us little city kids
> could imagine what else would have a mouth big enough to hold one of those
> things!

Funny how kids react to tongue. Never heard a child make any of the fatuous
claims about your food tasting you back, etc., but while I'm certain a good
deal of peer pressure contributes to a lot of kids' acquired food dislikes
(Eee-eeewwwww, you're eating THAT???), I can't help but think there must be
something genetic, too.

Case in point. My son and I were recently eating lunch in a fairly decent
Mexican restaurant, and he had ordered two steak tacos. I ordered the lengua
con salsa verde. It seems there was an unsolicited, gratuitous and mysterious
green goo, evidently an avocado-based life form, in his tacos, rendering them
inedible to a man of his sensibilities. Very tragic,  of course. I offered him
a trade of plates, and he wolfed down the tongue in a fairly spicy tomatillo
sauce. Said it was yummers.

Later he asked me, as kids often do, where that good meat had come from. I
said a steer, which was something like a cow. He said, no, what _part_ of the
steer was it from. I told him, whereupon he went into an exaggerated
death-agony, complete with spasmodic twitchings and a pretty realistic death
rattle. Then he keeled over.

I told him dead people don't get ice cream, and he got right up again. I'm
still not sure where that reaction came from, though, as I sincerely doubt any
of his friends in school show up with tongue sandwiches. Why have an ingrained
reaction to something you have never seen before, have never heard of as a
food item, etc.?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy