SC - Phlip's failed attempts at posting Gravlax

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 19:17:49 PDT 1998

Jeff Botkins wrote:

> Best tool of use when dealing with pork or any of the other paranoia inducing
> critter.........a Meat Thermometer...
> May not be period, but it'll let you make sure you've cooked your meat properly
> (I believe pork is 152 deg F to kill trichinosis).......dunno poultry off the top
> of my head but I believe it's around 160 or so....
>
> Just my 2 pence.....
>
> Jeff

137 degrees Fahrenheit for trichinosis, 157 for salmonella. Legal limits
imposed by agencies like state Boards of Health assume a poorly calibrated
thermometer, so regulations generally aim at 140 and up for trichinosis (which
can appear in bear and armadillo, too) and 165 and up for salmonella. YMMV.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com