SC - A question about larding

The Cheshire Cat sianan at geocities.com
Tue Sep 15 02:29:39 PDT 1998

Bear asked:

So, my question is, "What
>Medieval or Renaissance recipes can we recommend where the ingredients would
>be part of a normal grocery purchase, where the dish would fit into a modern
>family meal, and which can be prepared with limited untensils and facilities
>in a timely manner."

One of my favorites is the Andalusian lentil dish in the Miscellany ("A
Cooked Dish of Lentils"); the principal ingredients are lentils, onions,
and eggs, and the only spice at all unusual is saffron, which can if
necessary be left out (especially if one is cooking for Cariadoc).  Cheap,
easy, good, and a favorite of my 8-year-old daughter.

Also, there are lots of recipes out there for chicken with a sauce of wine
or vinegar, bread and spices; see our Miscellany (the 6th edition is
online) for a selection.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook