SC - A question about larding

Diana Skaggs upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Sep 15 08:02:37 PDT 1998

     <snipped> Aussie BBQ haute cuisine is rather an oxymoron I'm afraid,
     especially as the main dish on offer is burned lamb chops drenched in
     Tomato sauce, with plenty of beer and the occasional blowfly.....
     Drake Morgan,
     Politarchopolis, Lochac. (Canberra, Australia)

     I remember the day I cooked my first lamb chops.  I bought them at a great
     price from our campus meat lab.  A more worldly friend of mine, who thought
     lamb was heavenly, told me to marinate the chops in Zesty Italian dressing,
     and grill.  She said to be sure not to overcook.

     I was proud of the fact I was trying a "new" dish.  My family, however,
     might not be so receptive.  So I asked my husband if he had ever tried lamb
     chops before?  He had..they were awful..tasted like crap...never eat one
     again........ OOPS!  Well, I finished grilling the lamb chops and served
     them with green peas and grilled squash.  You should have seen him eat!
     After he had eaten the first chop and was preparing to take a bite off the
     second chop, he looked up at me and said, "This really doesn't taste like
     beef or pork, but it's good.  What is it?"  I smiled and said, "Lamb
     chops!"  Then it came out that his mother had fried the chops until crispy
     through and through.  No wonder.  Leanna of Sparrowhaven