SC - Salamander Pics: to Zoe

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Sep 21 08:35:10 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/15/98 9:04:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time, kathe1 at juno.com
writes:

<< Actually, I think that the best thing that would really keep them from
 drying out is sending the kids away! "Mom, what are you making? When will
 it be ready? Can we try some? Can I have some apple?" Those of you who
 don't bake with children "helping" have missed out on one of the truly
 interesting cooking scenarios known to man. Next time, kids out of the
 house and another adult in the kitchen would help immensely! But I think
 I'll just make puff pastry instead. I like to make it, it's much easier
 to handle than phyllo dough and I like the taste better anyway. :-)

 Julleran

Julleran, I cannot agree with you more about 'kids'.  That includes the four-
footed, furry kind, and the larger version that helps you 'make' the smaller
version.  As for the phyllo dough.........it was a suggestion for those not
wanting to take the time to get everyone out of the way and trying to cut
calories.  I, too, use my hand to swipe butter on dough (like another poster
does) and I tend to be heavy on butter when making the dough for my strudel.
It was my mother's contention that kiddies are best kept quiet by giving them
kiddy size rolling pin and a butcher block to cut their pasties on.....and let
them go to it.  Now, I have NO two legged kids, and I don't have the patience
to try her method out with loaners, so I just kick everyone out of my kitchen.
And the whole house here KNOWS what it means when I state 'Keep out of MY
kitchen,' (loosely translated it means I am cooking and anyone stepping foot
in the kitchen will have a sharp edged metal object thrown their way) I guess
it is just in training them.  BTW, the homemade variety does not dry out like
phylo dough -- too much butter! LOL

Diana