SC - Period Polish Cooking and Books......

Jeff Botkins jbotkins at ime.net
Tue Sep 15 16:25:24 PDT 1998

Recipe Two (intermediate):  (same source, #51)

> Tartlettes. Take pork ysode and grynde it small with safroun; medle it with
> ayren, and raisouns of coraunce, and powder fort and salt, and make a foile
> of dowhz, and close the fars therinne. Cast the tartlettes in a panne with
> faire water boillyng and salt; take of the clene flesh with oute ayren &
> boile it in gode broth. Cast ther powdour douce and salt, and messe the
> tartlettes in disshes & helde the sew theronne

OK; my translation:

Tartlets.  Take sodden (?seethed, boiled?) pork and grind it small with saffron; mix it with eggs, currants, powder fort mixture and salt.  Make a foil of dough and close the mixture (I'm thinking fars refers to force, as forcemeat; i.e. the sausagey mixture) therein.  Cast into a pan of boiling, salted water.  In the meantime, take some pork not mixed for the filling, and cook it in good broth.  Add also powder douce mixture and salt, and serve the tartlets in dishes, (placing the stew?) thereon.

OK; this is meat raviolis before we got tomatoes, right?  :-)  Actually, it reminds me of won ton soup more than anything...

Let's see:  I would make a batch of pastry dough and roll it out thin.  I'd buy a couple of pounds of ground pork (recalling that in won tons if you place the raw pork in the wrapper it *does* cook; and I don't have a meat grinder or food processor at present) and mix about half or more of it with eggs, currants, pepper, ginger and the tiniest pinch of salt.  Maybe cinnamon or clove, depending on how I felt.  :-)  Then I'd make raviolis with the filling.

I'd take the other half of the ground pork and probably brown it a bit and drain some of the fat (out of mundane habit; not any way related to the recipe) and simmer it in stock with cinnamon, ginger and a pinch of sugar till it was tender.  I'd leave it simmering on low; boil some water, add a pinch of salt, cook the raviolis, and put them in serving dishes.  Then I'd ladle the "soup" on top and possibly garnish with an additional pinch of cinnamon.

Sounds lovely; though I'll never make this at home as I cannot eat pork.  :-)

	- kat

- --kat griffith, editor--

This is my business address.  Sending files of over 100K in size to this address will result in my being summarily flogged.