SC - Cooking of meat-longish

Tue Sep 15 16:31:49 PDT 1998

Recipe three (advanced):  (Same source, #197)
> Chastletes: Take and make a foyle of gode past with a rollere of a foot
> brode, & lynger by cumpas. Make iiii coffyns of the self past vppon the
> rollere the gretnesse of the smale of thyn arme of vi ynche dep; make the
> gretust in the myddell. Fasten the foile in the mouth vpwarde, & fasten the
> other foure in euery syde. Kerue out keyntlich kyrnels above, in the
> mannere of bataillyng, and drye hem harde in an ovene other in the sunne.
> In the myddel coffyn do a fars of pork with gode poudour & ayren rawe with
> salt, & colour it with safroun; and do in another creme of almaundes, and
> helde it whyzt. In another, creme of cowe mylke with ayren; colour it red
> with saunders. Therof another maner; fars of fyges, of raysouns, of apples,
> of peeres, & hold it broun. Therof another manere; do fars as to frytours
> blaunched, and colour it with grene; put this to the ovene & bake wel, &
> serue it sorth with ew ardaunt.

Uff da.  I don't know if I can do this one, but I'll give it a go.

My translation:

Chastlets:  Roll out a thin layer of pastry dough at least a foot wide and longer.  Make four 8" x 8" x 6" coffins (my forearm is 8" long) and use the rest of the dough to make a larger coffin for the center.  I think you attach the four to the center in the shape of a cross.  I think.  I haven't a clue what the next sentence means; but it sure sounds like you are baking/drying something (nuts? shaped bits of dough?) to scatter across the top.  Fill the center coffin with a forcemeat mixture of ground pork, eggs, saffron and other spices; it should be yellow.  In one each of the other four coffins, place:  thick white almond milk; plain custard (egg and milk) colored red with sandalwood; a paste of chopped figs, raisins, apples and pears, which will naturally turn brown; and what I can only surmise is another mixture colored green; I'd translate this loosely (for lack of better knowledge) as a spinach-quiche thing.  Then bake it, and serve.

Wow, what a project!  I can't wait to read everyone else's translations so I can feel really stupid.  ;-)

	- kat

- --kat griffith, editor--

This is my business address.  Sending files of over 100K in size to this address will result in my being summarily flogged.