SC - Lamb

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Wed Sep 16 03:04:06 PDT 1998

Kiriel asks:

>But then how do you manage to get 2 rashers per person? Or three if
you're me. Our bacon is maybe half a centimetre thick.  You can also buy
speck, which is great and is like a great lump of bacon which has not
been sliced up, you just slice it yourself as you need it; it tends to
be more strongly cured in flavour than normal bacon and lasts much
better too.<

Our bacon in the US is sold in plastic packages containing either 12 oz. or
16 oz. (1 lb) of sliced bacon. As others have told you, it comes in strips
about one foot long by 1-1 1/2 inches wide, and will vary in thickness from
about 2-6 mm. (Excuse the mixed measurements, I tend to do a bit of
science, and count small measurements in the metric system.) The packaged
stuff is already smoked, and sometimes peppered, although generally not
very well. We also have readily available to us at good supermarkets bulk
bacon, again varying in thickness, and most supermarkets will carry "jowl
bacon", which is smoked but uncut hog jowls- we slice it ourselves, and
usually the skin is left on. We also have available "side meat" which is
plain, untreated bacon, usually sliced. If you live in the country (ie, a
rural area) as I do, you can get whatever you want from local farmers, but
you generally have to buy largish quantities, and depending on who you're
dealing with and who you know, you can get pork anywhere from freshly
butchered to completely smoked, sliced, and treated. One of the reasons I'm
working so hard at getting my own property right now is so that I can build
my own smokehouse, and do my own butchering.

As to how we get two or more "rashers" of bacon, we do it like anyone else-
we cook more ;-)

Phlip

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,