SC - sc: piggie raison d'etre

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Sep 16 09:52:42 PDT 1998

><< >I have found out that if they are just selling books, and not a
"diet
> program"
> >or "diet foods" anybody can print anything that is not downright
libelous
> and
> >it is allowed.  So just because you read it don't make it so.  Talk
to your
> MD
> >before starting on any diet.
>
>I would like to add my 2 cents here. I, too, was on Atkin's diet.  It
works
>wonderfully well, and is not dangerous (as per my doctor).  IF...and
this is a
>big if.....you follow the diet under the care of said doctor.

Not to prolong an off-topic conversation, but I know 2 of AEthelmearcs
big guns for crown have been on something like this recently - one
(James Ahern - 2nd place twice in crown) lost 75lbs since last crown
(may) and another (Yngvar, first king) has lost 30 in about a month.
Only one is under the regular care of a doctor.  Now, these are GUYS,
who seem to do better with the diet.  Of their wives who have tried it,
we're talking about 10-20 lbs each.  Supposedly at the end of the diet,
you start adding carbs back into your diet, but it looks like it ends up
as no more then 1-2 servings a day to maintain.

(there are actually several versions of this diet - Atkins, Protein
Power (which is what these guys are doing), Neanderthin (which another
person we know is doing), Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, etc.  They are all
pretty similar except the last, which does the no carbs for 2 meals a
day and then lets you eat anything for the third as long as it's within
1 hour from the first bite to the last.  Supposedly has to do with
insulin production...)

I've now tried it twice and I came to the same conclusion - it is not
worth it to me to give up so many of the foods I LOVE (pasta, bread,
rice, sweets) for the rest of my life to lose the weight - what I really
need is more exercise.  I am, however, moderating the amount of
carbohydrates I take in in the hopes of getting some benefits, because
it wasn't until I tried these diets that I realized just what a large
portion of my diet was carbs.  The fact is that while I LIKE Meat, I
can't eat it for every meal.  Same goes for cheese and eggs.  The meal
just doesn't feel complete.  I've also read a lot of mixed comments on
the long-term effect to your health....

But I'll tell you one thing - we still have another 3 1/2 weeks until
crown and having these guys lose that much weight could make a BIG
difference.....(*grin* and I'm Kingdom MOL, so I get the best seat in
the house for it!!!)

Caitlen Ruadh