SC - OOP-Wierd Food

Diana Skaggs upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Sep 16 12:40:47 PDT 1998

Adamantius sez:

and if I
remember correctly, there is a recipe for aqua vitae somewhere in Curye On
Inglysch, essentially a distillate of spiced wine.

You asked, love, and so it shall be given. I don't have a symbol for thorn
on my computer, and if I did, most of you might not be able to pick it up
as a thorn, so that's why I'll be putting all those th thingies in
parentheses:

>From Curye on Inglysch, Heatt and Butler, published 1985, the section on
Goud Kokery, number 7.

7   Aqua vite: (th)at is to seie, water of liif. Fille (th)i viol ful of
lys of strong wiyn, & putte (th)ereto (th)ese poudris: poudir of canil, of
clowes, of gyngyuer, of notemugges, of galyngale, of quibibis, of greyn de
parys, of longe peper, of blake peper: alle (th)ese in powdir. Careaway,
cirmunteyn, comyn, fenel, smallage, persile, sauge, myntis, ruwe,
calamynte, origanum: and a half unce or moore or lasse, as (th)ee liki(th).
Pownd hym a litil, for it will be (th)e betir, & put hem to (th)ese
poudris.
(Th)anne sette (th)i glas on (th)e fier, sette on the houel, & kepe it wel
(th)at (th) hete come not o it; & sette (th)ervndir a viol, & kepe (th)
watir.

Hope this helps. Adamantius, you know I'm going to be asking questions, so
gird your loins, and prepare ;-)

Phlip

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,