SC - Husband and Wife Teams

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Sep 16 12:23:58 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/16/98 2:51:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Seton1355 at aol.com
writes:

<< Ok, but a side of pork seems HUGE to me.  Pigs are big. No?
 Phillipa >>

<sigh> Yes they are realitivly large but after the fat is removed and the
other miscelleneous parts a side is not too big for 20 people to chow down on.
However, I think that some of you are forgetting that this recipe comes from a
manual that was intended for royal households and , for the most part, the
recipes were intended to be used at banquets. When reading/redacting period
recipes the unusually small size of modern households are irrelevant in the
scheme of things. And, I feel that sometimes we get into this rut when we a
reviewing period recipes. Given the size of the party the recipes are meant to
be used for there would be no incinsistency in calling for a whole side of
pig.

As His grace pointed out in an earlier post, the word 'ysode' does not mean
'side'. It means quite simply 'seethed' (e.g cooked pork) so the entire
argument about whether a side is appropriately large or small is a rather moot
point when applied to this recipe. :-)

Ras