SC - Michael and Yvonne Halliday <solarwind at solarwind.demon.co.uk>: Re: Inadvertant cultural slur

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Sep 16 13:27:11 PDT 1998

Just a little culinary oddity from the historical reenactors listserve.
I thought it fit the "What have you eaten that was wierd?" category
pretty well.
	Christianna

- --------- Begin forwarded message ----------
From: Michael and Yvonne Halliday

However, I do wonder: Do you people in New Zealand have any little old
green lizzards, that you eat, or creatures, which are not common to the
Northern European and Northern American Hemispheres?

And if so, is there any real good history behind such culinary delights?
That - if such a creature does exist - would make one heck of a story
for our Magazine...

Food for thought:
In Belize the Chinamen pay $20 Belize (which is $10 U.S.) for a good,
solid, long snake. They then - rather publicly -  hang the snake, slice
it open and BBQ it.
This is one way, Belizians earn pocket money, if they know a couple of
China men.
Yvonne

In message <199809160005.MAA16868 at fep2-orange.clear.net.nz>, Historical
Times <medieval at clear.net.nz> writes

>: At 17:09 12/09/98 +0100, you wrote:
>: >BTW: Do you guys in New Zealand get to eat Iguana?
>: >Does kind of taste like chicken, doesn't it?
>:
>: "The common green iguana can be found throughout the rain forests of
>: tropical Central and South America..... in many countries and islands,
>: including: Trinidad & Tobago, Columbia, Honduras, Brazil, Peru,
Mexico,