SC - Challah

Kiriel & Chris kiriel at cybergal.com
Thu Sep 17 07:11:19 PDT 1998

David & Sue Carter wrote:

> Skippy on a stick is kangaroo meat on a skewer.  It is called skippy after a
> children's TV program of the 1960s which featured a kangaroo called Skippy
> that was forever getting the park ranger's son out of trouble.
> Roo meat is very lean, and needs to be cooked very fast.  Marinading it
> helps keep it moist.

God help me, I remember Skippy...I recall being quite skilled, as a kid, at
making that obscene noise by whistling around a leaf, to see if I could call
any kangaroos in the area. This was, of course, still in the days when zoos
consisted of animals in cages, so no kangaroos arrived in droves. I'm sure it
would have worked otherwise. On the other hand, it occurs to me that the
Warner Brothers boxing kangaroo is what you really want to summon (you know,
the one that everyone unaccountably thinks is a giant mouse?) when surrounded
by bad'uns with dubious intentions.

> Shaslicks are Greek kebabs: skewered meat, usually lamb, dressed with lemon
> and oil.

Shashlik is Russian (reputedly Cossack), but nearly identical to the Greek
souvlaki, which is nearly identical to the Mughal/Persian sikh kebab, which
is... .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy