NaCl (was Re: SC - ham)

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Thu Sep 17 10:41:07 PDT 1998

	Greetings all!
	While in Germany I was exposed to salt grinding and preservation.  The
salt was stone motar ground to near talcum fineness then used to salt both
meat fish and fowl.  It takes a lot of salt and it is obsorbed like crazy.
When it came time to try to use the preserved items they really had to be
soaked, and soaked, and soaked, and soaked. . . I think you get ther idea.
Smoking fish is also very popular in areas where the professional salt
grinders could not be afforded.  Smoked then salted seems redundant but it
was the method shown on fish using the normal not ground salt.  Pork was
often preserved in a very heavy concentrate of salt water.  According to
the German teacher who was giving us this, pork was smoked  and salted
before barrels came into regular use.  So it all comes back to salt salt
salt.  Rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse again.  (GRIN)  Enjoy
	Balldrich