SC - verjuice and database

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 17 22:07:44 PDT 1998

TANTRALYA at aol.com wrote, regarding pre-baked pie pastry:

> I disagree with not refrigerating.  Here in the summer it would go rancid in a
> day or two.  I tend to bake and put them in gallon size baggies (still in
> their tins) and fill on the day I am gonna use them.

I assume weather differences are a big factor, but then the type of shortening
used is probably also a big issue. Some go rancid faster than others. Lard
probably would, butter probably less so, and one of those partially
hydrogenated vegetable shortenings like Crisco will last through the next Ice
Age. Bearing in mind that 75 percent of the SCAdians I've seen use a
commercial pastry (boo, hiss!) made from veg shortening, this may be a problem
only in really warm places...I'm not talking about leaving them for weeks or
anything, I was thinking in terms of maybe 24 hours.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com