SC - Food Preservation

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Sep 18 08:31:35 PDT 1998

I am planning a food preservation/fall harvest workshop at my house in
November.  I have been using the late period English sources (Markham,
Forme of Curye, Accomplished Ladies' Delight, etc.) to gather recipes.

So far, we will be pickling cucumbers, pickling a salad of vegetables,
drying cherries, making berry jelly/paste, preserving peaches, and
making sausage links.

There are a few questions that I would like help with, however.  I
posted these once to the list and only got one response.  Adamantius,
Ras, Bear, Aoife, Alys Katherine, Cariadoc -- HELP!!!

First, I really want to salt some fish (this is the one response that I
got -- thanks for the information about using a salt powder rather than
granules).  I keep finding recipes in the Forme of Curye for how to make
the salted fish more palatable, but no techniques/recipes from a period
source on HOW to get it salted in the first place.  I have a book
written in the 1970s for a commune that gives really good instructions,
but obviously, it is not period.

Second, I have the recipe for the sausage, I have a smoker lined up, I
have even ascertained that the Kroger butcher will give me intestines
for casing (althought THAT caused a few lifted eyebrow :) ).  What I'm
not sure about is how to actually squeeze the ground meat product into
the intestines.  A pastry tube perhaps?  Any other suggestions?

Third, I really wanted to pickle some mushrooms just because they are my
favorite :)  I can't find a late period English source for it, however.
Does anyone out there have a period source for pickled 'shrooms?
I would be eternally grateful :)

Thanks in advance.

THLady Morgan MacBride
Meridies