SC - question about period wededings

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Fri Sep 18 18:52:03 PDT 1998

hiya from Anne-Marie

I love it. "period" is one of those catch all words. anything is "period"
for someone, somewhen! That's why we've started saying that something is or
isnt "appropriate" for a given time/place.

our turkey that we can draw by tracing around our hands, gobble gobble,
almost our national bird if Ben Franklin had had his way, pilgrams ate it,
etc is definately new world. We have recipes for "turkey" in some of the
Elizabethan sources. Its a bit confused in that they started calling it a
"guinea fowl" for a while (thinking it came from Guinea, I guess), and we
have a bird called the "guinea fowl" today which is most decidedly not a
turkey.

so yes, the Turkey is new world.
and yes, the turkey was brought to Europe and eaten within "period", if you
subscribe to the anything pre-1650 is ok school of thought.

Robert May has a great recipe for a turkey pie, with fruit and nuts and
spices and stuff. Yum!
hope this helps clarify (yeah, like mud! :))
- --AM

- ----------
> From: kat <kat at kagan.com>
> To: 'cooks' <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
> Subject: SC - Turkey - NW or OW?
> Date: Friday, September 18, 1998 1:59 PM
>
> Hi all; me again.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is the definitive answer on turkey?  I have heard
two very distinct schools of thought on this:  the
"No-no-turkey-is-new-world" and the
"yes-yes-turkey-was-brought-to-Europe-in-period."  Anyone have a better
answer than this?

> Thanks in advance,
>
> 	- kat
>

> --kat griffith, editor--
>
> This is my business address.  Sending files of over 100K in size to this
address will result in my being summarily flogged.