SC - Challenges and education

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sat Sep 19 05:31:20 PDT 1998

>> Greetings All!
>>         May I ask, Sianan, why you don't approve of period weddings?  Is
>>it *just*
>> the work involved (admittedly a lot) or on a person/religious/solemn level?
>> Also, is the Barony/shire/parent group put to the expense of the wedding
>>or do
>> the bride & groom kick in bucks?  It would seem an awful financial burden to
>> the group, don't you think?
>> Phillipa

  I disapprove of SCA style weddings in general mostly because of the work.
Here we don't do SCA weddings, we have SCA style weddings which is
basically a Medieval type wedding followed by a medieval type feast for a
reception it has nothing to do with the SCA at all, only the wish of the
happy couple.  The reason that the entire Barony seems to get behind it,
even if it isn't shelling out the group money to pay for it, is because of
a genuine sense of 'Family' that the SCA generates.  Look at it this way,
would you let your sister go in rags to her wedding or have no reception
because she couldn't afford to get a proper caterer? I wouldn't. So we
pitch in.  If anything call it a wedding present from the various people
involved.  The people who help with the garb are gifting their skills in
needlework while the bride pays for the materials.  I am gifting my skills
as a caterer, experienced in doing the feast properly as compared to a
modern Caterer who wouldn't know medieval if it kicked him in the rear,
while the Bride and Groom pay for the venue and the food to be prepared. So
it's more like a wedding gift in skills that a financial gift.
  I don't approve of SCA style weddings because of the time and panic they
create. And I personally grumble a little if I have to spend the entire
occasion in the kitchen and don't even get to see the brides completed
outfit until the pictures are developed.  My opinion is entirely personal
and from personal experience however that doesn't stop me from cooking the
feast if the bride and groom ask me to.  I take it as a complement more
than anything else and enjoy the experience it provides. I never do it for
free, but I don't charge nearly as much as a professional caterer and I
don't demand payment in advance. So I'm doing it cheaply for a fraction of
what a professional charge and that's my wedding present.  Sometimes, if
they are a really good friend, I even throw in the wedding cake since I
love cake decorating.

Just my 2 cents in reply
- -Sianan

Marina Denton
sianan at geocities.com

        Logic is a systematic way of arriving at the wrong conclusion in
	confidence.