SC - Re: Turkey

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 19 07:36:12 PDT 1998

I believe it was Anne-Marie that wrote:

>so yes, the Turkey is new world.
>and yes, the turkey was brought to Europe and eaten within "period",
>if you subscribe to the anything pre-1650 is ok school of thought.

IIRC, there is at least one recipe, pre-1600, for turkey in an English
cookery book.  Now, if you are going to ask me which one and where I
will have to plead that I don't remember off the top of my head - just
that as I was hunting for something else I found the turkey one and
thought, "Aha!  Here's turkey before 1600!"  Anyone else know where it
is?  Now, this is not to say that _all_ feasts served turkey legs and
turkey parts!  It's just that it was known, cooked, and served for
those who had access to turkeys.

Alys Katharine