SC - Delivery Problem Notification.

Mailer-Daemon@commnections.com Mailer-Daemon at commnections.com
Sat Sep 19 12:26:04 PDT 1998

Elise Fleming wrote:

> IIRC, there is at least one recipe, pre-1600, for turkey in an English
> cookery book.  Now, if you are going to ask me which one and where I
> will have to plead that I don't remember off the top of my head - just
> that as I was hunting for something else I found the turkey one and
> thought, "Aha!  Here's turkey before 1600!"  Anyone else know where it
> is?  Now, this is not to say that _all_ feasts served turkey legs and
> turkey parts!  It's just that it was known, cooked, and served for
> those who had access to turkeys.

Also, it's possible that the particular recipe you saw might have been for
Guinea fowl. From looking at the recipe it could be hard or impossible to
tell.

One of the problems we always seem to run across in marginally period foods,
be it chocolate, various NW beans, chilies, turkeys, etc., is that even though
they may be "period", a tenuous and very qualified concept at best, none of
them are typical foods throughout our period, which could lead to some
unfortunate conclusions being drawn. My early 6th century persona is "period".
So is chocolate. So are turkeys. So are kidney beans. Would I be irresponsible
to even tacitly suggest these things were eaten by a 6th century Briton? Of
course I would.

I think the idea of deciding what is appropriate for a given time and place is
a much more meaningful pursuit than worrying about what is and isn't period.

Some turkeys appear to have been eaten in late-period Europe. Period. ;  )

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com