SC - Re: Turkey

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Sep 19 22:16:21 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/19/98 8:21:25 PM US Mountain Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

>  I believe it was originally a bowl of ale or white wine into which a cow is
>  milked. Finely rasped sugar and spices could be sprinkled very gently on
top
>  so as not to disturb the naturally occuring foam on top. Similar to what
the
>  Scots used to call "hatted kit", which by now has evolved into a much more
>  effete dessert-type item, as has syllabub.

Well, I've served it prepared this way, but used either dark rum, blended
whiskey, or bourbon, which makes a dish using white wine or ale seem effete by
comparison.  We sometimes sprinkled nutmeg on it,  I've seen it with ground
cloves and cinnamon, but that was a foreigner from the next settlement.  Helps
a lot to have a well trained cow, those used only to milkers will inevitable
kick the bowl over.

Mordonna