SC - Rant-OP-OOT

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Sep 20 14:44:36 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/20/98 4:26:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jgoldsp at aol.com
writes:

<< You FAIL to see the trees for the forest .....<snip other words that I'm
sure were written in haste>.....There i am off my soap box I feel better . >>

First, flaming is not one the activities which are allowed on this lis, IIRC.

Second, I have been cooking medieval food and redacting period recipes for 15
yrs.

Third, my feasts are always sold out, many times weeks in advance so the
'public' seems to like period food that has not been overly tampered with.

Fourth, I was a professional cook for 13 years and am respected both in and
out of my community for my culinary talents as I'm sure you are.  Our
individual credentials are irrelevant.

Fifth, the bulk of my posts to this list are meant to are informative and
meant to encourage others to become better at producing period feasts.  In
that I have been successful for the most part.

Sixth, you disparaging remarks regarding my character and motives are
completely inaccurate and have little bearing the subject of cookery.  A
cavalier attitude is not what I have. I am in fact, a grumpy old fart. :-)

All of those attending my feasts have went away with fond memories and MOST
IMPORTANTLY had the experience of dining like noblemen.  To give 200 gentles
the experience of steeping into the Dream for a brief moment or an hour or two
is what I try to do when I serve a feast.  If sharing the Dream is a crime
then I am certainly guilty.

In closing, I was very hurt that you chose the road of personal and
unwarranted attack in a public forum to press your point rather than to
provide historically valid argument to bolster your original position.  This
list has need of good solid information both in practical cooking, as well as
historical cooking.  Apparently your expertise lies in the former area and as
I stated before this is a GOOD thing.

For you, period cooking may be a hobby and a game but for me it is who I am
and what I do in the SCA .  It is my Craft and I strive continuously for
perfection in that art while trying to encourage others to do the same.  It
certainly is NOT a game.  Furthermore discourteous behavior diminishes us all
so we will have to agree to disagree.

Yours in Service to the Dream;
al-Sayyid A'aql bin Ras al-Zib