SC - Grits-availability-OOP

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Sep 21 05:49:08 PDT 1998

At 12:17 PM +0000 9/20/98, bagbane at ix15.ix.netcom.com wrote:

>> I would interpret "the third part" as "a third as much," so it would be
>> "for every three parts of honey, add one part of pine nuts."
>>
>> David/Cariadoc
>> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/
>>

>I see it as half as much. Becouse 2 parts and 1 part makes 3. 3 parts
>and 1 part would make 4 and the dish would have only 1/4 instead of
>1/3 of the part.

I understand that.

On one reading, it is "add a quantity of X that is equal to what you get if
you divide Y into three equal parts--i.e. a third part of Y." On the other
it is "add to two parts of Y a third part of X." The former sounds right to
me, and the latter wrong, but I can't think of any way of proving the
matter either way.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/