SC - Feasting: A request

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Mon Sep 21 08:13:17 PDT 1998

<snip>
>On one reading, it is "add a quantity of X that is equal to what you get if
>you divide Y into three equal parts--i.e. a third part of Y." On the other
>it is "add to two parts of Y a third part of X." The former sounds right to
>me, and the latter wrong, but I can't think of any way of proving the
>matter either way.
>
>David/Cariadoc
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

Hello!

While the word thriddendele does not occur in "Two 15th c. Cookery Books",
the word halvyndele, or halfyndele, occurs twice.  In both instances it
means one-half part.  Or, an equal quantity of X and Y are to be added.
(See below.)

By extension, 'thriddendele' would mean that Y is one-third of the total,
or two parts X to one part Y.

Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez
xxxix.  Eyroun in lentyn.  Take Eyroun, & blow owt [th]at ys with-ynne atte
o[th]er ende; [th]an waysshe [th]e schulle clene in warme Water; [th]an
take gode mylke of Almaundys, & sette it on [th]e fyre; [th]an take a fayre
canvas, & pore [th]e mylke [th]er-on, & lat renne owt [th]e water; [th]en
take it owt on [th]e clo[th]e, & gader it to-gedere with a platere; [th]en
putte sugre y-now [th]er-to; [th]an take [th]e halvyndele, & colour it with
Safroun, a lytil, & do [th]er-to pouder Canelle; [th]an take & do of [th]e
whyte in the ne[th]er ende of [th]e schulle, & in [th]e myddel [th]e
[3]olk, & fylle it vppe with [th]e whyte; but no[3]t to fulle, for goyng
ouer; [th]an sette it in [th]e fyre & roste it, & serue f[orth].

Harleian MS. 279 - Potage Dyvers (a fragment)
lxxvij.  Crem de Coloure.  Take an make [th]icke Milke of Almaundys, & do
it in a potte, & sethe it ouer [th]e fyre; [th]an take a fayre Canvas, an
put it [th]er-on, & late renne out [th]e Water; [th]en take [th]e
halfyndele, & put it in a pot of er[th]e; [th]en take the o[th]er
halfyndele, & parte it [in] to, & make [th]e half [3]elow, & do [th]er-yn
Wyn, Sugre, Clowes, Maces, powder of Canelle; take [blank in MS.] & grynd
in a lytel in a morter; [th]an temper it vppe wyth almaunde mylke, & do
euery of hem in a potte, an loke [th]at it be y-like chargeaunt, & sette it
ouer [th]e fyre, an boyle it a lytyl, an serue forth.

HTH,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net