SC - A good gentles persona

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Mon Sep 21 14:05:33 PDT 1998

>   My question is, does anyone have ant sources for period German food?
> I have a ethnic German cookbook that has given me some ideas, but
> would like to get as close to period as I can. Sometime in the 1400's.
>
> Wolfger

The easiest source to reach is Alia Atlas' translation of Ein Buch von guter
spise (mid 14th Century).  It can be found at

http://www.cs.bu.edu/students/grads/akatlas/Buch/buch.html

and is included in Cariadoc's Cookbook Collection, Volume II.

A few other sources (lifted from a previous message) are:

1400 Manuscript DII30 at the University of Basel (there is a published
thesis of about 40 copies)
1485 Kuchenmeisterei (The Mastery of the Kitchen)
1553 Das Kochbuch der Sabrina Welserin
1581 Das Neu Kockbuch (I think this is part of Cariadoc's translation
project) (Rumpolt)
1603 Speisebuchlein: Darrinnen Kurtzer Vnterricht von allerley Speise vnd
Trank so zur Menchlichen Nahrung dienlich... (Hubner)
1609 Ein Schon kunstlich Kochbuchlein von Vielen vnd manchen Richten
(original currently in the Passau Glasmuseum)
1719 Neues Saltzburgisches Koch-buch

Das Kochbuch der Sabina Welserin is available in translation, but I don't
have the information.

Bear