SC - Pentamere Cooking and Brewing RUM Collegium

Tina Carney brighid at iserv.net
Tue Sep 22 04:01:01 PDT 1998

At 8:37 PM -0400 9/21/98, LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
>Here is the menu from Everyman's Challenge held in the Shire of Eisental,
>Sept. 19, 1998. Kitchen Steward-Lady Ellesbeth Donofrey. This is being posted
>with her permission.
>The following abbreviations are used>
>
>P=Period
>PL=Period-like
>T-Traditional
>E=Ethnic

>Cannoli (E)

And for a period Cannoli (from the Miscellany, 8th edn):

Stuffed Qanânît, Fried Cannoli
Andalusian p. A-70

Pound almond and walnut, pine nuts and pistachio very small. Knead fine
white flour with oil and make thin breads with it and fry them in oil.
Pound [sugar] fine and mix with the almond, the walnut and the rest. Add to
the paste pepper, cinnamon, Chinese cinnamon and spikenard. Knead with the
necessary amount of skimmed honey and put in the dough whole pine nuts, cut
pistachio and almond. Mix it all and then stuff the qananit that you have
made of clean wheat flour.

Its Preparation: Knead the dough well with oil and a little saffron and
roll it into thin flatbreads. Stretch them over the tubes (qananit) of
cane, and you cut them [the cane sections] how you want them, little or
big. And throw them [into a frying pan full of oil], after decorating them
in the reed. Take them out from the reed and stuff them with the stuffing
and put in their ends whole pistachios and pine nuts, one at each end, and
lay it aside. He who wants his stuffing with sugar or chopped almond, it
will be better, if God wishes.

Translator's note: The scribe is dropping things again. The general
discussion in the beginning, which is the only place where the stuffing is
described, must have dropped the word sugar, as the recipe section omitted
the instruction to fry the tubes. "Qanânît" is the plural of "qanut"-canes
or cylinders. (Charles Perry)

1/2 c almonds, ground fine	1 t pepper	1/2 c oil
1/2 c walnuts, ground fine	3/4 c honey	1/2 c water
1/2 c pine nuts, ground fine	1/4 c whole pine nuts	oil for frying
1/2 c pistachios, ground fine	1/4 c chopped almonds	a few whole
pistachios and pine nuts
1/4 c sugar	1/4 c chopped pistachios
2 T cinnamon	3 c flour

Mix ground nuts, spices, sugar, and honey and knead together. Add chopped
nuts. Knead flour, oil and water together and refrigerate 20 minutes. Form
dough into cylinders ~2" long on 3/4" wooden dowel and deep-fry in hot oil
while on the dowel. (They had to be fried on the dowel, as they would not
remain as cylinders otherwise.) Remove from dowel; stuff with filling; stop
one end with a whole pistachio, the other with a whole pine nut.

Note: Too much pepper for Elizabeth, fine for Cariadoc.

On another subject, I noticed that one of the "period like" recipes used
brandy. It existed well before 1600--was it used as an ingredient in
cooking? If so, how early?

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University