SC - time

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Tue Sep 22 13:22:30 PDT 1998

Shari Burnham wrote:

> On another note, does anyone have a period recipe or reference for fish such as
> mackeral or salmon?  I have to put more fatty type fish into Peter's diet.
> Might as well do some period recipes at the same time.

Herring, salmon, trout, sturgeon, mackerel, eels and shad are all salt-water
or anadromous fish eaten in period Europe. (Fish living at least some of their
time in the ocean seem to be the fattier varieties, but this isn't always the
case.)It seems as if most of the English recipes in period seem to call for
freshwater fish, but French sources like le Menagier and especially Taillevent
(maybe Chiquart, too) seem to call for more salt-water fish.

I have a couple of nice period fish recipes worked out sitting on my hard
drive somewhere. I'll try to find them and post them, okay?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com