SC - Query-OT-OOP

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 23 08:10:53 PDT 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/23/98 8:53:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> << No repetitions are involved, unless one is saying the Rosary, but since
> what
>  we are using as our unit is an "Ave Maria", then one "Ave Maria" is
> presumably
>  what is meant. >>
>
> Wouldn't this be a huge 'presumption'? Does anyone know what context the Ave
> is called for? Like the recipe it is mentioned in? If we had this info it
> would be easier to determine the probable time span given the variuos times
> that have been put forth.

I don't have a recipe at my fingertips, but I know I've seen it several times,
just as I have also seen Pater Nosters used similarly. I'm reasonably certain
what is meant is the time it takes to say the "Hail, Mary" in Latin, it not
having been used in the vernacular, as far as I know, before 1964, bearing in
mind that most of the period writers whose works we know were at least nominal
Catholics. Protestant sects, for the most part, do not especially venerate
Mary, or pray to non-deities. I still guess at somewhere between ten and
thirty seconds.

It's possible to say it in under ten seconds, but I doubt an English-speaker
in period would be likely to do so in Latin, even if they breezed through and
slurred it.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy