SC - Where are we?

Groulx, Michelle MGroulx at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Sep 23 09:59:32 PDT 1998

draiocht at earthlink.net said in Re: SC - Thoughts on Food at Sep/20/1998,
Sun 23:07:37.

> We had something like this in Atlanta when I was growing up! I loved it!  :)
>
> Now if only I could find grits here in New York City! I have a sister ship
> me care packages with grits in it!   :)
>
> Glo
>
> At 09:13 PM 9/14/98 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >:-) I wouldn't say it was weird -- You're exactly describing what my
> mother
> >sometimes made for dinner when I and my siblings were younger.  (And I
> grew
> >up in New York. My mother was from Connecticut - maybe it's a New England
> >recipe?) We knew it as Greenbean Casserole. My husband's family have a
> >version they call "Gooey Greenbeans" that omits the onion crunchies on
> top.

That was me.  However, having read postings from people who grew up
elsewhere, I take back what I said about the recipe possibly being from New
England. My husband doesn't know where his mother got their family recipe
and my mother got ours from her mother, but doesn't know where it came from
originally.  Time to call my grandmother ... (curiosity's a dangerous
thing! :-) )

Good luck finding grits in NYC!

Nostas'ia Stepanova
Barony of Ponte Alto, Atlantia