SC - Cookbooks

Nikki McGeary purpleuniverse at cynet.net
Wed Sep 23 19:23:31 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/23/98 1:40:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< As regards the possibility of a separate Ave Maria ritual (as mentioned by
 Lord Ras) in the Catholic belief system, I can't think of one offhand, unless
 perhaps it is used for various vigils...I'll look into this.

 Adamantius  >>

Around here, the ladies and a few guys get together once a week at the church
and do the complete rosary thing as a devotional to Mary It takes from 20 to
30 minutes. The rosary itself is a custom that stems directly from Marian
devotions. The older lady's around here always speak of doing their Ave when
talking about the rosary. They usually have a statue of Mary set up in their
home altar and do this at least on a daily basis.

Since we now know what the recipe involved was it is pretty clear that the 20
to 30 minute version is most probably the correct one.It would be impossible
for sugar to reach a ball stage in 10 to 20 seconds.

Regardless of the exact form the Ave devotional took in the MA, it is almost a
given that your search for the exact answer would be found in the ethnic
cultures, especially the older Spanish population or Italian segment. Although
the Church has allowed masses to be conducted in the vernacular since 1964,
there are still a few schismatic groups that use the old  and more accurate
forms of mass. These congregations are normally found in areas where there are
high populations of people from the Old Countries. I have a friend who is a
priest and will contact him. He is in charge of a library that has documents
and parchments dating back to the 12th century. Perhaps he could answer this
question once and for all.

Ras