SC - Pastry Castles!

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Thu Sep 24 05:07:32 PDT 1998

Wolfger  wrote

>My question is, does anyone have ant sources for period German food?
>I have a ethnic German cookbook that has given me some ideas, but
>would like to get as close to period as I can. Sometime in the 1400's.

And Meliora wrote

>Does anyone know if any of this text has been translated into English?

And Linda wrote

>Does anyone have a recipe for liver sausage? It doesn't need to be a
>period recipe.Also I don't care if it calls for alot of liver. I have a
>few moose livers and one of them weighs 7 pounds it's self. If any one
>can help I would be very happy.

An Answer

Lady Leofwynn Wulfinga  and I have been working on the internet copy of “Ein
Alemannischisches Buchlein von Guter Speise” and I have begun a few
redactions which may be useful;  This recipe collection is in the Alemann
dialect ( which I have been informed is the ancestor of modern Yiddish,
Swiss German and Austrian German) so some words are a little colloquial and
hard to translate so any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Recipe 1a Bastenen ( a chicken or pigeon pie )

Original

Wiltu ain basteten machen, so nyem ainen gewelten taig und mach
daruss ainen scherben und hab ain jung tuben oder ain junges huon
ze klainen stucken row und schnid den speck würflot und leg
es denn in den scherben und bewurcz es wol und leg ain ander
plat von guten ayern daruber und bach es in ainem ofen.

1a How you make a bastenten.

Take a strong dough and make a pie shell
and take young pigeon or hen minced raw
and diced bacon  to that shell and spice it well
and lay another sheet of egg dough over it and bake in an oven.

My Redaction

Pastry
500g flour
125g lard
1 egg
1 cup (250ml) water
2 tsp salt

Filling

1 kg chicken thigh fillets
1 rasher bacon (~55g)
½ tsp each of ground pepper, ginger and cinnamon
¼ tsp each of ground cloves and salt
2 threads saffron ground

Directions

Run the lard into the flour and add beaten egg. Mix. Gradually add water
until you produce a firm dough. Roll out and line a pie plate (I actually
make individual sized pies in a muffin pan)

Mince the meat together with the spices and fill a pie shell and cover with
another sheet of pastry (seal the edges with a little egg wash) Brush the
top with egg wash and cut pierce a whole to let the steam escape.

This Pie is very tasty hot but I prefer it cold.

The other recipes in this section suggest making a filling of egg and cheese
(ayerkass), pears and spice (biern und gewurcz), figs and grapes (figen und
mit winbern), fish, or veal with parsley and bacon.

Original Recipes

2 Ainen pfeffer. ( a liver pate)

Niem ain leber und braut die und schnid darnach das usser darab
und schnid die leber zu schnitlin und was darab geschnitten werd,
das stoss in ainem morser und tuo ruggin brott und brügin
und win oder essich (daran); darnach well es in ainer pfannen:
das wirt ain leber pfeffer.

3 Pfeffer schwarz ( a “black” liver pate)

Ainen schwarzen pfeffer. Also nyem gebattes brott, ruggis
und zuch es durch mit der bruge und mit win und essich,
das es genug sy und bewurz es und tuo speck darin, als vor
ist geschriben und erwoll das wildpratt.

Translation

2 A pepper.

Take a liver and fry it and then cut off the skin
and cut the liver into strips and cut these into good pieces,
the grind them in a mortar and add crumbed(?) bread and broth
and wine or vinegar  to it. Then (cook it?) well it to a pan.
This makes a liver pepper.

3 A black pepper

A black pepper. likewise take rye bread, crumb it
and mix  it through with broth and with wine and vinegar,
until there is enough and spice it and add bacon there-in,
as previously written and boil this wildmeat.

My Redaction

700g liver (I used lamb)
2 rashers bacon (~110g)
300g Rye sourdough bread
½ cup Vinegar (125ml)
1 cup Water (250ml)
1 tsp pepper

Fry a lambs liver and bacon until completely cooked. Cut the meat and bread
into cubes and grind them together into a paste (I used a food processor)
add spices and vinegar and gradually add water until the liver is of a soft
paste texture. Refrigerate overnight and then  serve with bread.
 This recipe appears in 6 or 7 forms using a range of liver including deers
liver.

The last recipe is for a deer liver sausage which may be suitable for
Linda's surfeit of moose liver, but I have yet to redact it ( having little
access to deer liver).

44 Klobwurst.

Niem aines bockes leber und hack sy klain also grün mit ayern
und mit wissem brott und bewurczs es und farbs und bewind
es mit ainem netz und roschs und brauts; du macht ouch darein
hacken speck und peterlin.

44 A liver sausage

Take a buck's liver and chop it fine likewise grun ( haven’t found
this word yet) with eggs and with white bread and spice it and colour it and
wrap-up
it with a net(??) and roast and fry; you made also there-in
chop bacon and parsley.

Good luck to Linda on this one

There are a lot of other recipes in this collection for various forms of
offal and for animals caught while hunting ( deer, hares, bear, partridge
and "wild meat" in general.

Osgot
(Innilgard Lochac – Adelaide South Australia)