SC - Cookbooks

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri Sep 25 06:37:54 PDT 1998

	snip... As far as I know, Lutherans don't say the Ave Maria in Latin
or
> English on a regular basis. I could be wrong about this, though.

	  You're right, I was raised Lutheran and became Catholic as an
adult.  What I meant was that it was Martin Luther who introduced the idea
of saying mass in the native language of each country rather than in Latin.
	  I also did some research on the rosary several months back to see
if it would be appropriate for my persona to carry one.  All the dates that
I found indicated that the rosary (which is the "long version" we are
discussing, I think) did not come into common usage until late in period.  I
can look up my notes if anyone is interested in the actual date that is
accepted by the Church.  I believe the single Ave Maria prayer itself to be
from very early usage in the Church - perhaps second century if I am not
mistaken.  It is likely, in that context, that timing based on an Ave Maria
is less than a minute.  If spoken slowly and carefully as you suggest (and
are more than likely right) perhaps it might go to a minute.  I doubt there
are any records of the tempo and rhythm the would have used when they said
it.
Caterina de' Verdeschi
Shire of Amurgorod, Kingdom of Trimaris (mka Ocala, FL)
Per pale gules and ermine a coney rampant Or and a chief wavy counterchanged