SC - where in the heck am I?

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Fri Sep 25 16:46:39 PDT 1998

Okay:  prepare to pelt me with uncooked fava beans:  I love the stuff.

Having committed this heresy:

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/23/98 10:01:10 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> rtrigg at hoflink.com writes:
>
> > ut - maybe it's a New England
> >  > >recipe?) We knew it as Greenbean Casserole. My husband's family have a
> >  > >version they call "Gooey Greenbeans" that omits the onion crunchies on
> >  > top.
> >
> >  That was me.  However, having read postings from people who grew up
> >  elsewhere, I take back what I said about the recipe possibly being from New
> >  England.
>
> I found the recipe for the crunchy one on a pack of Durkee's onion rings

There is also a schism that exists--I had a great article that I can't
find about food trends of the decades of 20th century America that talked
specifically about the Durkee Green Bean Casserole stuff--between those
that put soy sauce in it and those that don't.  I've seen recipes both
ways and (lover of NaCl that I am) I use the soy sauce even if it doesn't
call for it.

I discovered a great trick a couple of years back--manyof you probably
already know this--but reading a magazine, it suggested that when making
turkey soup from Thanksgiving leftovers, a good destination for many of
the leftovers was...in the soup.  So the past couple of years, I've added
the leftover mashed potatoes and the leftover green bean concoction, and
I have to say...it's won raves.

Isn't it weird...I think there's an expectation that food tastes are
monolithic and can't be eclectic.  I love Spaghetti-Os and Durkee Green
Bean Casserole and Strawberry Quik...yet I really love haute cuisine
and a lot of the continental classics.  Last year for my birthday (two
days after actually) I had Halibut Saltimbocca that still makes me
drool to think about...

I think that an overall adventurous palate is the greatest aid to bring
to bear in learning to appreciate medieval cooking.

Berengaria