SC - dried milk

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Sep 27 07:51:32 PDT 1998

> Stefan says,
>
> >>And I would be interested in additional good period recipes using
> garlic.
> It does look like baked garlic is a modern invention though. :-(<<
>

> Not necessarily.  It would probably have been a peasant/commoner type
> dish, if period.  You
> don't need a recipe for it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Allison

Garlic sauce for all meats: take the garlic and cook it in the embers, then
pound it thoroughly and add raw garlic and crumb of bread, and sweet spices,
and broth; and mix everything together and boil it a little; and serve it
hot.

Frati, Ludovico, Libro de cucina del secolo XVI, as presented in Redon, The
Medieval Kitchen

So, garlic was ember baked.  We know that boiled garlic (aquapatys) was
served as a dish.  It may be inferred, but not proven that ember baked
garlic could have been served as a dish.

A modern method for preparing garlic combines the two.  Put chicken broth in
a dish to provide about 1 inch depth.  Cut the tops from an appropriate
number of bulbs of garlic and stand then top down in the broth.  Bake at 300
degrees F for about an hour or until soft.

Bear