SC - Test message

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Sep 28 10:32:17 PDT 1998

Okay, I know this is off topic, but I'm at school and I can't ask it on the
Rialto due to lack of Newsgroup access.

The [printing] Press Club from my school went to a small press book show in New
Castle, Delaware yesterday.  We got there before it was open, and wandered over
to a antique bookstore called Oak Knoll.

Here I found many volumes which I fell absolutely madly in love with.  The most
notable of these was a two volume set of the Song of Roland where one volume
was a modern german translation and the other was all copies of manuscripts of
Rolandslied (in middle high german, I think).  Absolutely gorgeous -- and $60.
I know ascetism is good for the soul, but it was hard passing that up.

Okay, on to the subject of my message.  Many of these books had bookplates in
them which identified who the owner had been.

One of them, instead of having the usual "this book belongws to the library of
- --" had what appeared to be a piece of heraldry (as well as "this book belongs
to the library of --)".  It had a winged sphinx (full upper body female)
sitting on top of the shield which was bisected by a thick wavy white line.
The shield itself had two bearded unicorn heads above the line and one below,
and was dark gray.  (The picture was black and white.)  Under this, written in
longhand was an indecipherable name.

Anyone able to tell me what that meant?

(I highly recommend Oak Knoll, they've got a great collection of books with
lots of reproductions of pictures . . . sadly, the average price for the books
is between $30 and $200, with one book I saw selling for $3200 (and you can bet
I put that one back on the shelf real fast))