SC - Preserving sorrel

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Mon Sep 28 22:32:36 PDT 1998

Well, folks,

I was heading out the door for my second favorite event of the year (my
first being the first week of Pennsic) and a message came over the Internet
that they would NOT be serving lunch. As it happened, I had a smoked ham,
about 6 1/2 lbs, so I figured I'd try to come up with something for lunch.
I packed my gas grill, a large pot, and e-mailed Lord Ras for suggestions.
While I was waiting, I went and looked in my Platina, and found a
suggestion- cook ham in orange juice, so with Lord Ras' suggestions, this
is what I came up with. It certainly wasn't period because of the
vegetables mixed with the meat, but I would consider it the peri-oid sort
of thing that a cook might throw together if unexpectedly asked to feed a
crowd on short notice, this time of year.The following is the message I
posted on the lunch table.

LUNCH

Bread

Sweet and Savory Ham and Cabbage Soup

$2.00 or Donation

If you're broke, eat anyway- no-one goes away from my table hungry.

Past expenses, all funds will go to Their Royal Majesties Travel Fund

from a Suggestion in Platina:

Soup- Water, orange juice, smoked ham, cabbage, onions, carrots, pepper,
garlic, cinnamon, cloves

The soup went over very well. Even though certain people managed to fish
out almost all the ham, the broth was good enough that people were coming
back for more in order to dip their bread. I deliberately did not serve
butter with the bread since not only is it not period, but I wanted them to
use the broth for dipping. The only complaint I got was second-hand from a
vegetarian who was used to a vegetarian option for lunch, but under the
circumstances, it went very well. If I do this again, hopefully with a bit
more notice, I will see that there's a vegetarian thing as well.

Meantime, anyone want to share stories and recipes about things they've
cobbled together in a hurry?

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches