SC - potatoes

Kiriel & Chris kiriel at cybergal.com
Tue Sep 29 02:32:57 PDT 1998

Cadhla O'Faolain,

>I thought potatoes were period in Ireland... if I am mistaken... please
>let me know.

They became popular in Ireland quite a while after 1600. For more info on the
potato, check this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:

root-veg-msg      (80K)  9/15/98    Medieval and period root vegetables.

The first potatoes used in your were sweet potatos. Also while some potatos
were grown in Europe before 1600 it looks almost certain that they were
grown for ornamental and curiosity reasons and not for food.

You also might be interested in this file in the same section:
tomato-hist-art   (18K)  2/17/97    "You say tomato I say Xitomatl" by Lord
                                       Xaviar the Eccentric.

My files are at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net