SC - potatoes / FAQ

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed Sep 30 00:47:11 PDT 1998

Aoife said:

4) Try a hot-water crust rather than a pie crust. I firmly believe that the
hot-water crust is a descendant of  excessively thick pottage, and that's
why we cannot understand, modernly, how pie crust is supposed to stand on
it's own. When you think of it as a pottage extension you should not have
too much trouble dumping in the hot liquid and melted fat to the flour.
Let it cool slightly before working and it will react like
playdough.....you can get creative!

- ---------
Ok, for those of us new to breads and doughs, What is a "hot-water" crust
and how does it differ from a pie crust? So far, I've only used the pie
crusts I bought in the frozen food case at the grocery.

I'm afraid I'm not clear about this pottage extension.

Are the ingredients different between the pie crust and this "hot-water"
crust? The proportions? Or the method of making the dough?

Thanks.
  Lord Stefan li Rous
  Ansteorra
  stefan at texas.net